This weekend was a busy one. So busy that I almost fell asleep on the subway on my way to Brooklyn…at 4pm. Yes. Yesterday was the day of cleaning and catching up and all I wanted to eat was some bar food, but it rained cats and dogs all day in NYC. So what does a girl do? She makes her own. Enter the loaded baked potato rounds. Sort of like potato skins with a lot less commitment.
Also, if you make these for lunch you will have one happy boyfriend on your hands. That is a fact.
I mean, how good does that look?
LOADED BAKED POTATO ROUNDS – serves 6 (or 2 if you’re making it a meal)
3 russet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch rounds
3 tablespoons butter
cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you want)
bacon (not optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425º.
2. Please wash your potatoes. We’re keeping the skin on folks, this step is important. Cut potatoes into 1/2″ rounds.
3. Line baking sheets (I needed two, we have a small oven…it’s NYC) with foil and spread each with 1/2 tablespoon butter
4. Melt reserved 2 tablespoons of butter. Place rounds on baking sheets and brush with melted butter. Generously salt and pepper them bad boys.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bottom of the rounds is nice and golden brown. Flip over and cook for about 10 more minutes.
6. Meanwhile cook your bacon. PLEASE, I beg you, do not use bacon bits. That is disgusting.
7. When the tots are done, immediately cheese them and put them back in the oven (while it’s still warm) to get the cheese all nice and melty. Garnish with whatever you like. We used bacon, sour cream and chives.